New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED)
Planning and Research Division
Data Request Policy and Guidelines
In order to balance the many requests for data that are received by the Planning and Research Division, NMHED has implemented a new policy pertaining to all data requests, internal and external. With this policy, we have developed a process that will assist us in managing and prioritizing such requests.
Data Request Guidelines:
- If unit level (disaggregated) data is requested, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) will be required. To apply for an MOU CLICK HERE.
- If the requestor is a government agency, other entities, or individual(s) who have an established MOU with NMHED and their data request falls within the scope of the MOU, please scroll to the bottom of th page to access the Data Request form and to accept NMHED's policies as set forth below. Request that meet this requirement will be given priority.
- If the requestor has a current MOU with NMHED, but their request falls outside of the scope of the MOU, the data request will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
- For all requests without an MOU, data will be provided in aggregate form.
- to not sell data or information provided by NMHED.
- to give full credit to the NMHED in any published or unpublished reports for the use of NMHED data.
- to include a disclaimer which states, “NEW MEXICO HIGHER EDUCATION DEPARTMENT assumes no responsibility for any conclusions drawn from the use of NMHED data” on any and all published or unpublished reports using NMHED data.
- to not share student level data with parties not identified in their request. This is a violation of FERPA.
- to allow 4 weeks for processing due to staffing shortages
- NMHED will only provide data that adheres to guidelines set fort by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Please give us as much notice as possible when requesting data. Response times for data requests will vary depending on the complexity of the request and NMHED's internal priorities. Please expect a processing delay up to two weeks.
- NMHED reserves the right to deny or delay any data request due to prioritization as deemed appropriate by the Planning and Research Divison director.
CLICK HERE to access the Data Request Form and accept NMHED polices. This form will assist us in identifying the specific needs and requirements for each request for more effective and efficient processing.