The Minority Doctoral Assistance Loan for Service Program was enacted to increase the number of ethnic minorities and women available to teach engineering, physical or life sciences, mathematics, and other academic disciplines in which ethnic minorities or women are demonstrably underrepresented in New Mexico Colleges and Universities. The state encourages partnerships between the New Mexico Higher Education Department, institutions of higher education, and students interested in entering a doctoral program to cultivate greater participation by underrepresented groups in doctoral programs leading to careers as university faculty. Their participation will not only provide an increase in the diversity of faculty at New Mexico institutions of higher education, but it will also enhance educational opportunities for New Mexicans from underrepresented groups. An additional outcome will be the increase of role models from diverse backgrounds in disciplines where few faculty from underrepresented groups presently exist.
As a condition of each loan, the student shall declare his/her intent to secure a faculty position at a New Mexico public university to teach their field of study.
For every year of service, a portion of the loan will be forgiven. If the entire service agreement is fulfilled, 100% of the loan is eligible for forgiveness. Penalties may be assessed if the service agreement is not satisfied.
The average award is $15,000 per year. Award may be renewable for up to four years
- Must have completed a baccalaureate degree at a New Mexico four-year public post-secondary institution in engineering, physical or life sciences, mathematics or any other academic discipline in which ethnic minorities and women are demonstrably underrepresented at a New Mexico four-year public post-secondary institution;
- Must have met the admission requirements and can demonstrate acceptance for enrollment as a full-time doctoral student from an eligible institution;
- Must have been interviewed and recommended by an academic committee appointed by the president of the institution and consisting of two faculty members, two academic administrators and one central administrator from the sponsoring institution;
- Must have the final approval of the sponsoring institution’s chief academic officer and the president;
- Must have a commitment from the sponsoring institution that a tenure-track faculty position will be available in the individual’s discipline when they complete their doctoral degree and are ready to return to the institution as faculty;
- Must have complied with all the rules and regulations adopted by the New Mexico Higher Education Department pursuant to the Minority Doctoral Assistance Loan for Service Program; and
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
How to Apply:
- Complete the Minority Doctoral Assistance Loan For Service Application and return all required documents to the sponsoring institution by their deadline.
- Each sponsoring institution will send the New Mexico Higher Education Department a list of finalists in rank order by March 15, 2014.
- The New Mexico Higher Education Department will make final decision on the selection of participants and will send notification.
- The selected participants will be required to return all contracts and forms to the New Mexico Higher Education Department to receive funding.
When to Apply?
The application opens each year on January 15th and closes on March 15th.
Where to Apply:
The application will be available on this page starting January 15th and will be removed from the page on the closing date of March 15th.