The purpose of the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE) Loan-For-Service Program is to allow New Mexico students to enroll at selected our-of-state graduate or professional programs which are not offered at New Mexico public universities.
Exchange students receive preference in admission. They pay reduced levels of tuition; for most students, resident tuition in public institutions or reduced standard tuition at private schools. New Mexico pays a support fee to the admitting school to help cover the cost of students’ education.
As a condition of each loan, the student shall declare his/her intent to return to New Mexico to practice as a professional in their field of study.
For every year of service provided, a portion of the loan will be forgiven. If the entire service agreement is fulfilled, 100% of the loan is eligible for forgiveness. Penalties will be assessed if the service agreement is not satisfied.
Fields Supported by New Mexico:
- Veterinary Medicine
The award will equal the support fees designated for each program as determined by WICHE. Award is renewable for up to four years.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien
- Graduated from a New Mexico public accredited high school or resided in New Mexico for three consecutive year prior to application of the program (tax forms required)
- Attend an eligible public or private school listed for Veterinary Medicine or Dental School.
How to Apply:
- Complete the WICHE Loan-for-Service application packet
- Submit a complete application packet to the New Mexico Higher Education Department
- Submit all letters of acceptance you receive from out of state Universities and Colleges
When to Apply:
The application period for New WICHE Applicants is between August 1st and October 1st.
The application period for Renewal WICHE Applicants is between May 15th and July 1st.
Where to Apply:
The application for New WICHE applicants will be available on this page starting August 1, 2015 and will be removed from the page on the closing date of October 1, 2015.
The application for Renewal WICHE applicants will be available on this page starting May 15, 2015 and will be removed from the page on the closing date of July 1, 2015.