The purpose of the New Mexico Public Service Law Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) is to provide legal educational loan repayment assistance to individuals providing public service in state or local government or the non-profit sector in New Mexico to low income or underserved residents.
The maximum award is $7,200.00 Per year.
- Annual salary may not exceed $55,000.
- Licensed to practice in New Mexico as an attorney and shall declare intent to practice as an attorney in public service employment in New Mexico.
- Have student loans that were obtained for legal education expenses that are not in default (past or present).
- Must have applied to all available legal educational loan repayment programs offered by the applicant’s law school for which the applicant qualifies.
- Must be employed as an attorney at an eligible employment site (Note: Individuals with an official job offer may apply).
- This is a service-based program, which requires a three (3) year commitment to work in Public Service Law. Past program participants may be eligible for renewal.
Where to Apply:
The application will be available on this page starting October 15th and will be removed from the page on the closing date of December 1st.
How to Apply:
- Complete the LRAP application packet (application link at bottom of page).
- Submit a complete application packet and all supporting documents to:
The New Mexico Higher Education Department
Financial Aid Division
2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100
When to Apply:
The application period for both new and renewal applications is between October 15th and December 1st.
- Organizations that are exempt from taxation pursuant to Section 501(c) (3) that provides for the care and maintenance of indigent persons in New Mexico through civil legal services
- The New Mexico Public Defender’s Department
- The New Mexico District Attorney's Office