The purpose of the New Mexico Public Service Law Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) is to provide legal educational loan repayment assistance to individuals providing public service in state or local government or the non-profit sector in New Mexico to low income or underserved residents.
The maximum award is $7,200.00 Per year.
- Annual salary may not exceed $55,000.
- Have student loans that were obtained for legal education expenses that are not in default.
- Must have applied to all available legal educational loan repayment programs offered by the applicant’s law school for which the applicant qualifies.
- Must be employed as a lawyer at an eligible employment site or be seeking employment at an eligible site.
- This is a service-based program, which requires a three (3) year commitment to work in Public Service Law. Participants may be eligible for renewal.
Where to Apply:
The application will be available on this page starting October 15th and will be removed from the page on the closing date of December 1st.
How to Apply:
- Complete the LRAP application packet
- Submit a complete application packet to the New Mexico Higher Education Department
When to Apply:
The application period for new and renewal applications is between October 15th and December 1st.
- Organizations that are exempt from taxation pursuant to Section 501(c) (3) that provides for the care and maintenance of indigent persons in New Mexico through civil legal services
- The New Mexico Public Defender’s Department
- The New Mexico District Attorney's Office