The purpose of the Teacher Loan-For-Service program is to proactively address New Mexico’s teacher shortage by providing students with the financial resources to complete or enhance their post-secondary teacher preparation education.
The award is based on financial need of the student. The award may not exceed $4,000 per year.
The award is for a period of one year but may be renewable for up for five years upon resubmission of an application each year.
- New Mexico Resident (12 consecutive months)
- Official Acceptance into a teaching or an alternative licensure teacher preparation program at a New Mexico public college or university
- Enrolled at least half-time
- Undergraduate or Graduate
- Demonstrate financial need
- Student must declare his/her intent to practice as a teacher in a designated shortage area within the state of New Mexico
How to Apply:
- Student shall complete the FASFA
- Complete the Teacher Loan-For-Service Application
- Completion of the school certification section within the application by the institution
- Submit the complete application packet to the New Mexico Higher Education Department
- Current program recipients will need to apply each year for funding
When to Apply:
The application opens every year on May 15th and closes on July 1st.
Where to Apply:
The application will be available on this page starting May 15th and will be removed from the page on the closing date of July 1st.
Where to Mail Application:
New Mexico Higher Education Department
Financial Aid Division
2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100